5 amazing things to see in Monopoli
Monopoli had a huge touristic growth in recent years. The Old Harbour picture, one of the most representative places of the city, was chosen as cover image in the article of the New York Times that placed Puglia among the 52 best destinations for 2019.
Monopoli is a place where you can walk around the beautiful little harbour, watch the boats lulled by the sea, the fishermen arrange the nets and multitudes of fish splash in the blue water. But you can also take a great ice cream or simply relax outside watching the people passing by. Monopoli is a city for all ages and offers everything from historical sites to cultural attractions, beaches, nightlife.
Here are our top 5 things to see in Monopoli:
1. SEA CAVES AND BEACHES. The stretch of coastline around Monopoli is simply beautiful. Crystalline water breaks in the cliffs and slips into beautiful sea caves. The best way to enjoy this incredible wonder of nature is to take part in a boat tour.
Along the coast and among the rocky cliffs, there is plenty of beautiful coves. If you want to read our tips on the best furnished beaches around Monopoli you can click at this link.
2. OLD HARBOUR. The harbour is one of the most picturesque areas of Monopoli, with its maritime life and the lighthouse that offers a wonderful view. The best time to go to come here is at sunset when you can enjoy the beautiful view of the sun and the sea and walk on the seafront promenade.
3. OLD TOWN. The historic center of Monopoli is a picturesque tangle of narrow alleys full of shops, restaurants and bars. The evening many young people come here to the lively nightclubs. In the area south of the old town stands the imposing Cathedral of Monopoli, traditionally linked to the cult of the Madonna della Madia. What captures the eyes is the facade of the church, with elegant decorations, pillars and scrolls that create shadows and contrasting effects. In the church there are red, yellow, white and green stones that create chromatic impressions.
4. CARLO V CASTLE. It is impossible to visit Monopoli without admiring its castle which rises on the most protruding promontory of the old town, the most strategic position for the defense of the city and the port. From the tower of the castle you can enjoy a beautiful view of the city.
5. PALMIERI PALACE. The majestic Palmieri Palace is located in the heart of the historic center. It is built like a typical Neapolitan palace, in a late Baroque style inspired by the palaces of Lecce. The palace consists of a series of rooms that surround the interior patio. The most important room is the gallery that often hosts art collections.